Setup Talk Talk Email
You can have upto 5 TalkTalk email addresses. To setup a TalkTalk email address, you must first have access to 'My Account'. You can Register or sign in to My account from : http://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk
When registered you can log in with your nominated email address. You can then Add, Change or Remove TalkTalk email addresses from your account.
Please note : For security reasons, TalkTalk staff do not have access to your email password. They cannot view or change your email password. Only you as the account holder can do this via 'My Account'.
Recently, improvements to online security now require that your email password must conform to TalkTalk's security policy. To make it harder for people to 'guess' your password, and access your details unlawfully, you must now have at least 1 capital letter and 1 number in your password. Also, the password must be a minimum of 8 letters. for example : Gremlin55. If you are using a password that does not meet this criteria, then you will not be able to access email until it is changed. Also, if you are unsure of an email password, you can change it via My Account. (See example below).
When your TalkTalk email address is created, you can access this via webmail by using the link : http://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail
Webmail is an online service and you can access your email from any computer at any location. You can also use an email 'client' to collect your email. Help for email client setup can be found towards the bottom of this guide.
After selecting 'Email and Password, you will then see the following options :
Email Client Setup
An email client is a program running on your PC that you can use to download emails from the mail server. There are many different email clients, such as MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Microsoft Mail and Incredimail etc.
Whichever email client you decide to use, there are 4 pieces of essential information you will need before you begin. These are :
- The Incoming Mail Server (mail.talktalk.net)
- The Outgoing Mail Server (smtp.talktalk.net)
Note : Remember, when you use an email client, any emails you receive are downloaded to your Computer, and are removed from the server. If you delete any emails, then they may be gone forever. Your email client may provide an 'Advanced' option to leave a copy of the email on the server. A quick 'Google' search will usually tell you how to turn on this feature of your mail client.
The following information will help setup an email client for TalkTalk email. You can also use the following information for other email services, such as Yahoo or Gmail etc, provided you have the four essential pieces of information mentioned above, for the relevant email service provider. Please note: if using a third party email service on a TalkTalk connection, you must still use the outgoing mail server for TalkTalk : smtp.talktalk.net
To set up your TalkTalk email in Outlook Express for Windows, take the following steps:
- Click Start, select Programs or All Programs and then select Outlook Express.
- Select the Tools menu at the top of the screen and then select Accounts.
- Click the Add button and then click Mail.
- Enter the name that you want to be displayed in the From field of email you send in the Display name box and click Next.
- Enter your TalkTalk email address and click Next again.
Note: Your TalkTalk email address ends with @talktalk.net, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you don't enter any spaces and that the email address is exactly as you created it.
- Select POP3 from the incoming mail server drop-down list.
- Type mail.talktalk.net into the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server box.
- Type smtp.talktalk.net into the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server box and then click Next.
- Enter your TalkTalk email address into the Account name box and enter your password into the Password box. Then click Next.
Note: This is the same email address that you entered in step 5 above. Please ensure that you don't enter any spaces and that the email address is exactly as you created it. The password is the email password that you created when you set up your TalkTalk email account.
- Click Finish and then click Close.
Outlook Express is now set up to send, receive and manage your TalkTalk emails. You can send yourself an email to check if it's working correctly.
- Open Windows Mail, click 'Tools' then select 'Accounts'
- Click 'Add'
- Select E-mail account, click 'Next'
- Type in your name then click 'Next'
- Enter your email address (email@example.com) then click 'Next'
- Choose the incoming email server type as POP 3
- Enter the Incoming mail server address: mail.talktalk.net
- Enter the Outgoing mail server address: smtp.talktalk.net
- Tick Outgoing server requires authentication, then click 'Next'
- Enter your email username, which is your talktalk email address. Enter your email password and click 'Next'
- Do not tick the 'Do not download my E-mail at this time'. Click Finish to complete the set-up.
you can download Incredimail from : www.incredimail.com
- Select Tools>Accounts>Mail and click Add.
- The account wizard page will appear. The account settings page gives you the option of having IncrediMail configure your settings automatically or manual configuration. The automatic configuration option will only work if you had previously been using Outlook Express and had configure email accounts. Here we will be doing a manual configuration so click let me configure settings myself.
- Enter your display name and your email address in the boxes. The display name can be anything you want and will appear in the from field on your outgoing messages. It is normally your name.The email address is the reply address for all emails that you send.
- Click next. A page will appear prompting for your email server names. The first box is a drop down box where you select the connection protocol this is normally POP3. Enter the Incoming mail server address: mail.talktalk.net Enter the Outgoing mail server address: smtp.talktalk.net
- Click next. A page will appear prompting for your account name (TalkTalk Email address) and password. Ensure the remember password box is ticked or you will have to type it manually each time you try to receive emails.
- Click finish to finish the account setup.
The new account is created and appears in the list along with any other pre-configured accounts. The account can be edited by highlighting it and then clicking the properties button on the right.
If you use any other email client, a quick 'Google' search will show many websites offering setup instructions.